Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Introduction

Welcome!

This blog is just a way for me to document the amazing journey that I began about 7 weeks ago when I joined Overeaters Anonymous and commited myself to a food plan that involved no sugar, no flour and eating three times a day. I was surfing the web one day last week and I was looking for a place that did not involve weight watchers. Hey, I'm not knocking weight watchers as I have pumped many, many dollars into that organization. I know of several people who have worked the WW program and have done very well and are now leading healthy lives. I am speaking from my own personal experiences when I say that WW doesnt work for me, a compulsive overeater, and I gained back all the weight I lost and then some. It became more of a game about how I could manipulate my food so that I could eat what I wanted, not what was healthy. As the weight was coming back, I grew shameful and decided to give up and just eat and eat and eat.

This past summer, when Dr. V --my therapist-- and most of my friends were on vacation and I was in the mad season of completing summer school and dealing with a break in into my classroom, I came to a very divinely inspired conclusion. I knew that the only way out of this emotional and physical bottom was to find a daily reprieve in the 12 steps of OA. I had been consistently gaining weight and I was having to wear the same outfits since I was only able to fit into a few pairs of pants and shorts. Zipping up the pants became a struggle and I didn't want to keep buying bigger clothes. I left a message on Dr. V's voicemail and went off to vacation with friends. This vacation became the eating journey to hell and back. I used to love airports as they are havens for food and food and more food. I made sure that I was sufficiently stuffed with calories and grease and had extra supplies for when my stomach shrank back down to a normal size. I also was forced to buy a business class seat as I just about didnt fit in a coach seat. When I vacationed with two good friends that I hadnt seen in forever, I was more consumed with the junk food we had in the kitchen and the cakes and pies in the freezer. When my friends went down to the beach, I stayed behind and ate chocolate and peanut butter because I just felt like it. It didnt taste as food as it seems. We made smores inside and I pretended that I hadn't eaten anything.

On August 15, I walked through the doors of OA and knew immediately that I was home. When I said that I was a compulsive over eater, I almost cried because I was home and knew that I didnt have to do it alone anymore. I began a food plan the next day that involved no sugar, no flour and only eating 3 times a day. I also began attending meetings five days a week. It took me some time to choose a sponsor but when I did I knew that I had chosen someone who was very similar to me and very different in other ways. I also have made some amazing friends that are walking this journey with me.

Stay tuned.
More Later
Hip English Teacher

No comments: