Saturday, October 27, 2007

Unexpected surprises

Hey there!

Long time no blog. I thought that my computer, which I just bought was on the fritz. Apparently, my other roommates at the big yellow house thought there computers were messed up. A call to Time Warner fixed that and we are all back on the net.

It has been a week that has been tough! I was called on the carpet at work and had to honestly look at what I was doing and ask myself if I could honestly say that I had been giving my students the best I could give. I also had to deal with a scary situation that brought up issues I never thought I'd have to deal with.

Yet, my birthday came and went this past week. I have now turned 32 years old. Since I have not been eating sugar or flour I asked my students to bring in balloons. One little girl went so far as to bring in a basket of fruit and balloons plus a sweet card. My co-teacher decorated the classroom and had the kids waiting in the dark when I walked in late, grumpy and carrying three things of starbucks coffee. The policy in my classroom is that if you are late, you are subject to dancing the chicken dance. I knew that I was late but I was determined to not dance the chicken dance.

The day was a great day all around. I had some surprise visitors. My all time favorite student from my old school arrived and we spent a few hours together. Another former student arrived later on. Lastly, at dinner with my OA pals, an old friend from my AA days came to dinner. We have mutual friends in common and it was wonderful to see the cross over. I hadnt seen her since my days in AA.

I am still celebrating my birthday. I have three more events spread out throughout the week. I have been able to be with friends, and not veer off my food plan.

At the end of my birthday, I was pooped. It was a very, very rich and full day that was one of the best days I've had in a long time.

No comments: